1.08.2009

We all recognize that I'm the problem here

~WAS (Ghouls, again)


Today, I had to face the reality that I made not one, but TWO rather large and embarrassing mistakes in Chemistry Lecture yesterday.

When talking about three general categories of matter (element, compound and mixture), I used a worksheet from a colleague and changed it a bit, but failed to DO the worksheet myself before class (time is of the essence recently). So, when we were going over the answers, I made the two following wrong corrections to my students' correct answers:

1) Dry Ice isn't a compound, it's an element (nitrogen)

2) Steel is an element

I know, I know...I have a Masters Degree in Polymer Materials Science and I made these two blatantly wrong statements almost back-to-back. I'm so ashamed.

Of course, I have a defense for both. I was thinking of the fact that we used Liquid Nitrogen to cool CO2 (Dry Ice) at my old job, so I had a brain fart and said it was Nitrogen. Crap. Then, I was remembering our grading key for these students' density lab saying "Steel (Fe)" for one of the unknowns. So, I just defaulted to that, forgetting that steel is, in fact, an alloy of mostly iron and commonly carbon.

I briefly entertained the sinister idea of pretending that I meant to mess them up to see if anyone would catch me, but then I realized that I have to admit the mistakes, apologize and use this as a teachable moment that I'm not perfect. I certainly never want this to happen again, which ramps the pressure for being on top of my game even more for the next nine weeks.

I'm just worried that they'll lose whatever ounce of respect they had for me when I tell them tomorrow.

2 comments:

dragonsfiresoul said...

I just started reading your blog (again) and I'M disappointed in you! Haha. No, I'm just kidding. I know that I would be so freaked out teaching the course, that I know I'd start making up words! But it sounds like you're actually doing really well! A few bumps and such, but that's what happens whenever you start something new. But I'm so proud of you Katie! So what are your plans for the summer? We should hang out! I've been thinking of getting a GPS to go roadtripping, but I wouldn't do anything until the spring and I'm assured that the passes won't be scary. :D Or you could always come over here! *wink* miss you!

Unknown said...

we all make mistakes, i wonder if it might be a little freeing for your students to see that teachers and scientists make mistakes. seems like learning how to pick yourself up after you make a mistake is an important lesson to learn too (maybe more important than most?)