1.07.2009

And no I won't relax or act like it's no big deal

~We are Scientists (Ghouls)


An email I found in my inbox this evening:

"Your totally cool! :) && by the way, you make chemistry seem so easy so far!"

Granted, we've only had two days of class. And, she didn't say FUN, rather EASY. But, still, a welcome encouragement as I am scrambling to plan lectures, be on time places, grade papers, show up to my own classes on time (definitely went to the wrong classroom tonight), not annoy my colleagues with rapid-fire emails, and live, in general. Showers, exercise, time with friends and sleep will come at a premium these next three months. I'll let you know which ones climb the priority list.

A few things I've noticed about myself in the professor role thus far:

1) I sweat like CRAZY when I teach. I'm going to be one of those profs with the pit stains, I just know it.

2) Necessity is the mother of creativity. It's amazing what you can think up when you have Chemistry on the brain 24/7.

3) I'm learning that all good Chemistry professors MUST be pyromaniacs. My mom actually asked me today if I was being safe...

4) I LOVE this! I'm happier than I've been since I moved home even though I hardly have time to breathe. It's so wonderful to be doing what I feel gifted and called to do.

Oh, and yep, it already happened:

"Are you our TA, or our professor?"

The stares and whispers when I walk into a class are priceless. I can just tell they are saying, "Seriously?!?!" I think I'm proving myself legit slowly...

1 comment:

Anna said...

I hope showering is high on your priority list. You're a professor now, you need to shower! :)
I'm so glad you're enjoying teaching Zanso. And you're definitely legit. Anyone here have a master's in chemistry?
Love.