11.03.2008

Don't teach me about politics and government: just tell me who to vote for

~Derek Webb ("A New Law")

This is another appropriate song for today

I cannot express how much I am ready for tomorrow. Ready for change. Ready for history to be made. Ready for inspiration and excitement about the future of politics. Ready for new ads on TV.

I have been ecstatic at times this past year how people of all races, creeds, ages, perspectives and political leanings have decided not to vote for party, but for issues and individuals. My pastor gave a good sermon last night on the need to be interested in politics all four years of a term, not just the two months leading up to the election. This resonated heavily with me. I'm no politician, but I need to care enough to keep tabs on what my government is (or isn't) doing for my community.

We see it every election - people impassioned to the point of losing friends (and respect), writing terrible things on public forums, and using religion to justify or ostracize. Enough! It's time for us to see our continual role in politics and to walk the walk on issues we talk a LOT of talk about in October. Some Christians (and hopefully non-Christians too!) are starting to realize that Jesus was not white, middle-class, Republican nor Democrat. The Bible speaks to issues of abortion and homosexuality less than 15 times, but poverty and caring for the poor over 2000 times. Pastor Eugene also made the point that scripture tells us Jesus WAS involved in politics. He called us to be independent, thoughtful, intelligent, respectful and mature in our voting.

That's the key point I'm seeing in all of this: respect. I've been harping on my parents since I got back from Europe in September because they were (and may still be) undecided on the presidential race. It's so easy for me to say: "what are you thinking?" and rant about the insanity of the election, but when it comes down to it, what matters is that each American votes. And by vote, I don't mean showing up at the polls and making pretty patterns out of your chads, I mean thinking long and hard, wrestling with issues of belief, morality, community and future. I mean reading, listening, discussing and caring about the election enough to put more energy into research than is expended complaining about the situations of the past eight years.

There is no right or wrong party. There is no perfect candidate. I have close friends voting for both candidates. I love them all. We don't need to move to another country if our pick doesn't come out on top. What we need to do is be ready for change, get involved and support our president tomorrow, no matter who it is. "Change you can believe in" and "Country First" are great mottos, but let our motto now be "Whatever happens, we're in it together!"

In less than 35 hours, we will be able to move forward. It is my hope that we will do so as a united community that can learn to love despite disagreements.

Now it is time to go put my ballot in the mail.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hey good post. i liked it a lot.


are you sure we're not gonna have to move if you-know-who gets elected? ;-)

Kt said...

well, let's just say i would have entertained the idea of leaving if Mr. Romney was on the throne. But McCain is a good guy, I think he would improve things. But, let's be real, MSNBC has Obama projected to get over 300 electoral votes. Let's not get cocky, but things are looking promising!

Anonymous said...

This is such a good word, my friend. Cooperation is so important. [Although I have to say, I have contemplated a move back to South America more than once... ;) ]

I am listening to Derek Webb right now. He is giving the album "Mockingbird" out for free again with a message about involving conscience in voting. I love his insights. Donald Miller's blog is amazing, too. Read it if you get the chance. donmilleris.com

I miss you, zanzinator.