11.07.2008

"I was playing some stinky, filthy, manky chops..."

"...Jemaine: you had some rotten mutton on the grill
Bret: just some off rhythms, really
J: you had some decomposing flesh on a skillet
B: just rancid grooves, i was layin' on 'em
J: the...skanky...beefs beats you were laying down"

~Flight of the Conchords (spoken word)

A girl sitting at home with a bad cold found this on the interwebs today. It brought her much happiness. (It's long, but really worth it. Their banter is better than their music, I think)
_____________________________________

Anyone who has known me in the last five months knows I'm a bit of a fan of Flight of the Conchords from New Zealand. I blame it on my coworker in Bend, David, who played Business Time for me at work in May...I then proceeded to watch pretty much all of their stuff on YouTube that day (at work) and form a slight celebrity crush on Jemaine (like about a million women on this planet). At camp this summer, I found several fans of the group and we had all sorts of inside jokes involving lyrics to various songs. The theme of the summer with me and my good friend Sonja was from their song The Most Beautiful Girl (in the room): "Lookin' round the room, I can tell that you are the most beautiful girl in the...room...and when you're on the street (depending on the street) I bet you are definitely in the top three..."

Sonja and I, along with two other friends from camp (Jenni and Andrew) came up to Seattle for SubPop's 20th anniversary show at Marymoor. We didn't get tickets because they were sold out, so we spent the afternoon dodging police officers and security personnel telling us to go across the street (what the heck? they're sold out - let us loiter!), all to hear the Fleet Foxes, Iron and Wine and Flight of the Conchords. Well worth the almost getting arrested part. I'll post my one video from my favorite song, Jenny, later.

Fast forward to last week, when all of my hopes were dashed: Jemaine got married in August and his wife just gave birth to their son, Sophocles, a week or so ago! What? Jemaine - I thought we really had something...Blast :) I'm "over" it now, but I am considering forming a support group for all the women who are quite disappointed.

A couple of days ago, I found their first TV appearances in New Zealand in 2000 (two years after they officially formed). Let's just say, they've really come a long way with their banter, humor, comedic timing, musical abilities and songwriting in eight years.

I recommend them highly, especially if you just need to smile.

No comments: