10.10.2006

a little toooooo ironic...yes I really do think

~the most annoying song ever
(and, for completeness, my best friend Carrie says that nothing in that song is ironic, in the literary definition of the word)

I've been worrying lately that I have misused the word "irony" all my life. So, I looked it up tonight to set myself straight:

Irony - noun
1. the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.
2. an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.

The latter is what I usually mean when I say it. I think I use "ironic" in the rightful place of "coincidental" oftentimes as well. So, never fear, English majors!! I am not butchering the language as badly as I could have. Although, commas always get me and always will. Nothing I can do about that.

Therefore, it is quite coincidental (and perhaps also ironic) that the two baseball teams I am a closet fan of could (hopefully) meet in the world series. I guess it's true, now that I'm away from Seattle, that I can like any team I want. But, I still have a place in my heart for Edgar and those Mariners. Hopefully they'll stop sucking really soon. But, I digress. So, these two teams, you might be wondering, are the Oakland A's and the St. Louis Cardinals. Now, I have been an A's fan for sometime, and more recently have become a Cardinals fan. There is a reason for this, and his name is Mark Mulder. I know, I know, I'm lame. But, he's a great pitcher (uh, when he's healthy) and quite handsome, I'm not going to lie.

I first eyed him back in the 2000 playoffs, and quickly backstabbed my hometown AL West team for their arch-rival. Of course, I still rooted for the Mariners in games where the two met. Actually, after the initial crush, I started to realize that the team is quite amazing. What they have done with a small payroll is nothing short of astounding. If you're interested, I suggest you read "Moneyball" (I own it, and it ROCKS). So, when Mark was dished to St. Louis, mostly because I don't have any National League allegances, I decided to follow them a bit. Low and behold (ironically) they are a darn good team (we'll let it slide that they almost blew the biggest division lead in history this year)! Too bad Mulder keeps getting injured and can't pitch in the playoffs this year.

So there we have it. Irony abounds, as I love saying. Especially because I now have a TV that gets 3 channels (hand-me-down), which is great for watching LOST and The Office, but of course, I don't get FOX, so I can't watch any of the series. Perhaps I'll need to take to bars for the sake of baseball. The A's lost their fist ALCS game tonight, and the Cardinals play tomorrow. Do it for Mulder!

**In other news, for you who don't care about baseball: the creepy old guy from Ohio that hit on me at church (see my post"Sending out an SOS") called me last Sunday. Didn't answer, and as such, have the funniest, weirdest message EVER. I was going to post the entirety of the text, but I thought that might be slightly mean. Thank God for caller ID.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What did he say?! Don't leave us hanging! :-)