10.19.2006

He was showing his love, and that's how he hurt his hands

~Nickel Creek (The Hand Song)

Every day on my way to campus and back, I walk past a whole host of characters, some the same, some just once. The University of Oregon is quite committed to free speech and rights of all kinds, so pretty much anyone can give out flyers and talk to you about issues, which is great. Unfortunately, sometimes I just don't want to talk, so I've learned (along with the other 18,000 students) to avert eye contact, and occasionally fake a phone call. Gone are the days of SPU where I knew everyone at the booths, and walked to class with my head up, talking and smiling at everyone.

Let me introduce you to two of the regulars on the U of O campus. His name is FROG. The whole city knows him. He frequents the Saturday market, and every day I have attended the U, is waiting on 13th street by the bike shop with his shorts and waist-length white beard asking people: "have you seen the funniest joke book ever known to man?" I always say "no thanks," but according to one friend, he is homeless and is selling the books for three bucks apiece. Now, in a lot of ways, I have to give Frog props for actually being creative and trying to earn an income. But, I'm so sick of hearing his little phrase, so I usually walk down the other side of the street.

There are two older men who spend every day at the entrance to campus (not far from Frog). They, too, are well known in the city and can be seen most Saturdays at the market. These men have a different agenda, however. That is to bring the entire city of Eugene to God by holding a sign that says "JESUS LOVES YOU :)" They just sit there, and have a friend or two that comes to greet them every now and again. My favorite is an older guy who rides on campus every day with knee-length yellow socks and his whole bike outfit...today, he had his helmet covered in yellow plastic because it was raining. Every day I walk by them, and every day I wish they would realize that for 99% of these college students (or more), they aren't making a twit of difference. As a believer in Christ, I hate to be so cynical. But, the fact is that I've learned you can tell people about God and that he loves them, but until they experience something completely different, are forced to face their imperfections (dare I say sins?), or see Christians acting in a loving, merciful and contrary manner to the world in general, no one will get through. One day, these men must have been feeling a little more lucky, and were shouting a sermon-like tirade about hell and the eternal separation for God-haters. Wonderful, I thought, now whoever might have given them an audience thinks they are myopic, judgmental freaks. I have made my share of awful, judgmental and hurtful remarks throughout my growing up years, that I thought were for the good of the gospel, only to fear I might have turned people away. People need to be shown love, care and acceptance by Christians on behalf of the Christ they desire to follow...not have a sign pushed in their face and phrases about the damnation of hell rammed down their throats.

That is why today was especially interesting, and equally saddening. The men were out again with their signs, but this time, were opposed only a yard of two away by some guys holding a sign that read: "DENY JESUS: religion incites hatred and starts wars." My first reaction was to feel hurt by this comment, and also to chuckle at how this stalemate of signs began. Do the two parties talk to one another, or just stare in blind hatred?

Over the last hour or so since I returned to my apartment, I've really been mulling this all over. First, of course, the men with the DENY JESUS sign failed to realize that Jesus is not the head of every religion, and it would be ludicrous to say that Christianity is the only religion whose people make frequent mistakes and violent moves. But even so, saying that religion is what causes hatred and war in the world sets me aback. Certainly, people of so called "faith" throughout the history of the world have been at the helm of atrocious and scarring acts that do nothing but make people question what kind of god they serve. The Christian Crusades and Islamic "holy wars" still baffle me every day. Conversely, as you know, there do exist religions and Christian denominations which do little but preach pacifism and mercy. So, my main reaction to the sign is this:

We are all hopelessly fucked up. That's the simple truth. Religion or no, each person is unbelievably fallible whether they like to admit it or not. There certainly are those who use and have used their religion to justify acts of hatred, violence and intolerance. However, more often than not, I have learned that the wars, terrorist acts, violence and hatred that seems to come from people following a certain deity truly come from the inside of the flawed human being who is so overcome with their own wellbeing, opinion and oftentimes national pride that they have lost sight completely of what their "religion" professes and encourages. It is not Christians fighting with Islamic people in the middle east, it is Americans looking out for number one in a region they desire to exploit and control. If I may be so bold (and I may, it's my blog afterall), I would wager that even if every single breathing human on this earth were "Christians" as the majority of Christians live today, we'd have equal amounts of wars, violence, lies, betrayal and hatred worldwide. Why? We're all messed up and even as a "Christian" nation, there is so much to be learned about the Jesus who was killed for you and me, who hung out with the prostitutes and thieves, and who wanted his followers to show love in everyday settings to all people; being different, but never using their affiliations to put down, judge or hurt another who is loved by God.

I've been reading the Gospels lately, and just read this last night, which sums up my claim:
"[Jesus said] 'What comes out of a man is what makes him unclean. For from within, out of men's hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly.'" - Mark 7:20-23

Stop putting the wars and violence we see every day on "religions." Have some balls and realize it is the fault of the people that are taking life from their fellow humans.

No comments: