9.28.2006

...the sun doesn't go down...it's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

~The Flaming Lips (Do you realize?)

In a very fitting follow-up to my previous post about the joys and priviledges of learning, my mini-vacation with my parents this weekend produced some interesting questions. I met them at the Oregon Coast (same place we go every year, but I'm not complaining) and spent two days eating good food, hanging out and experiencing the absolute best weather I've ever seen on the coast (75 and no rain!). It was nice to see the parents, and Alan came to visit me this month, too, so that's been nice.

I've always been a big asker of questions, which my dad loves, so I guess I've been into learning since I was a little girl. However, when I was younger, it was probably more to the tune of, "why can't I go to my friend's house???" or "why can't I have a car?!?!"

This weekend produced many topics of discussion of varying importance:
1) What's the difference between sloe gin and gin?
2) What's up with body hair (specifically why do dudes bald and have facial hair, and why does gray hair change texture as well as color) and how can evolution explain it?
3) Why do we see red/orange at sunset? (I thought I knew the answer, but my dad shut me down while I was trying to explain it to mom)
4) Why do I eat about 4-times as much with my family than I do normally?

We're going to let #4 slide because I feel fat enough, and #1 is an easy answer:
1) gin: a neutral spirit from grain, flavored with juniper berries, 120 proof.
sloe gin: a wild cherry flavored neutral spirit base, 42-60 proof.

2) My research isn't through, but check out these links to learn more.
http://www.economist.com/science/displayStory.cfm?story_id=2281888
http://www.creationresearch.org/crsq/articles/40/40_4/Bergman.htm
Basically, it seems that if you believe we evolved from apes, the little hair we have in comparison is just "leftovers" and doesn't really have much of a purpose since most humans live in average to warm climates. However, most of us know that eyelashes, eyebrows, nose and ear hair are there to protect openings. I also found that some biologists believe that the shedding of hair was due to parasites. The less hair you have, the less opportunity for fleas and ticks to nest. Along with this, since men and women would then look for mates that were hairless (but men care more about looks), women have less hair because their mates were more picky. I'm not so sure I buy that, but it's an interesting thought.
As for grey hair, in the follicle, there are melanin cells, which give our hair its color. As we age, these melanin cells gradually die out, causing a transition to white, silver or grey hair. The texture I couldn't find anything specific on, however, I speculate that something in the lack of melanin might affect the texture as well.

3) The sunset. So beautiful. Ever notice that it's more pretty in polluted places like LA? This is because there is more "stuff" in the air (dirt, pollutants, etc). The reason the colors change towards nightfall is because there is more atmosphere (dirt, water, etc) between you and the sun, so the different wavelengths of light (the colors of the rainbow) are scattered, especially the blues and greens, allowing a higher relative amount of reds and oranges to reach your eye.
http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/sky_blue.html

Interesting, huh? I think this kind of post should happen more often. See why I want to be a teacher? I love practical science.

No comments: