9.06.2006

Short people got no reason to live

~Randy Newman (Although Nickel Creek did it at their show...so good)

Usually, I feel that shorter people have a one-up on me. Sure, I can reach things on the top shelf of the grocery store (and often help others out), and I can reach my top cabinets in my kitchen. But, by and large, most tall people will tell you, it's no day at the beach. Buying clothes and size 12 shoes is a pain, but gradually getting better, car choices are severely diminished because of what the person fits in (I wanted an Accord...but my knees hit the wheel!), and in general, the "amazon woman" comments and incessant stares (especially in foreign countries) get REALLY old. If I had a penny for every time I'd heard the ol' "wow...you're SO tall" phrase...well, I'd be able to help myself to an evening movie, at least. Thanks so much, I think everytime, I hadn't realized this until you so eloquently pointed it out!


Point is, being tall can be a blessing and a curse, especially when you're a female and guys seem to be a little scared of your 6' 3" stature. Whatever. What the average world doesn't get is that I'm used to it, and don't notice height differences until pointed out to me! Anyhow, when I saw this article today, I thought it fitting and largely ironic. Ironic because I was informed this morning that I in fact did NOT get the Chemsitry internship I've been planning on for 5 weeks. They liked me, but some internal changes caused them to decide not to hire me...and apparently not tell me. So, now I begin the job hunt. There isn't much in Eugene that I'm interested in or qualified for. It makes me wish I'd spent more time in food service or retail rather than babysitting in high school and college.


I've got a couple options, one of them being a restaurant bartender, which I think would be rad. That call goes out tomorrow... Anyhow, if it's true that tall people are higher paid, maybe I'll make more than $7.50 and hour. Ouch, a B.S. in Chemistry and I'm hoping for a retail job. Oh, how the tides have changed in the last week. Surprisingly, I'm less anxious and stressed than I figured I'd be after my entire 2-year plan of getting two Masters degrees has all but exploded. There are options. Life is long. I do, however, need to make some friends in Eugene.

No comments: