8.27.2006

I'm sending out an S.O.S.

~ "Message in a bottle" (Sting)

Something completely shocking, unexpected, disturbing and odd occurred today.

It was a morning like any other Sunday. Got up, went to church (late, per normal), sat by myself and enjoyed the scenery of Coburg (this church is outside...it's so me). During the meet and greet time, I introduced myself to several people and then listened to a cool sermon on 2 Samuel 19. After the sermon, however I had an interesting conversation with a dude that had been sitting behind me.

Dude: It was nice meeting you, Katie
Me: Yeah, nice meeting you, too!
D: Are you a student in the area?
M: Yeah, I'm in grad school at the U of O (here we go again...)
D: Oh, neat, what in?
M: Chemistry

...blah blah blah...(it continued for a minute like this)

M: Do you live around here?
D: I'm actually from Ohio, but I spend a lot of time on the road
M: Oh, nice (tries to gather things quickly and exit)
D: So, can I call you sometime?
M: Uh...um....well, I...um...guess so...(looking around awkwardly)...
D: (Whips out his BIBLE and a pen) What is it?
M: (what is going on?)

...more small talk ensues about school, et cetera...

M: Well, good talking to you
D: Are you going to the BBQ?
M: Um....no, I've got homework (THANK YOU PROFESSOR ATRE)
D: Oh, I bet! That's such a hard subect....I'll be praying for you
M: (awkward laugh) Thanks


....So, what the hell is up with that?
Dude had to be at least 35, lives in Ohio, hadn't spoken to me more than 6o seconds when he asks me for my number (the first guy to ever do that, by the way)!!!! Now, I had hoped the first guy to ask me for my number would be a nice looking man my age and someone I was remotely interested in. Rest assured this was not it. I see one of two scenarios being plausible.

1) He's a genuinely nice (too nice) single "church" guy who wants to check in on me and talk about faith, or whatever.
2) He wants my bod.

Either way, I'm in a bind. I've never been faced with this conundrum before. I thought guys didn't ask for a number unless there had been significant conversation and a mutual vibe!! How could I nicely have said no? "Why?" "Don't you live in Ohio?" "Uh, dude, I'm 22 and...well, you're not..." "Um, I just met you" The reason I didn't say any of these is mostly because I was trying not to assume he was interested.

So, now we reach the interactive portion of the day. What do I do now? All I can say is, thank Jesus for caller ID. I suppose I won't be answering any calls from numbers I don't recognize, and just hoping that my awkwardness and lack of excitement to give him my number will discourage him from calling. But, then again, he did write my number in his freaking BIBLE..I'm doomed. Someone help me.

I’m sending out an S.O.S. I hope that someone gets my message in a bottle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA!!!!! KATIE!!!!!!!
this is SO funny!!!
sorry i can't help you, good luck with this!