9.08.2007

you'd be so perfect with me but you just can't see

~Aqualung ("strange and beautiful")

I may or may not be experiencing a bout of “unrequited interest” currently...it’s kinda killing me.

Maybe it’s because I just realized I will have gone to seven weddings solo in eight months by the end of October, and several friends and family are also very close to taking “the plunge” within the next two years. This is a crazy era of my life. I have to admit, I love weddings – especially when I get to see people I haven’t talked to in years.

Last weekend was no exception: two weddings back-to-back...and yes, I managed to eat salmon and steak at both of them (now THAT’S what I call a success!) and hang out with my brother and sister in between. A busy but fantastic day. My good childhood friend, Jennifer, who I played softball with from 3rd grade through high school got married to her high school sweetheart, and being an only child, her wedding wasn’t kidding around! The wedding was at St. James Cathedral in Seattle – gorgeous. The reception was held at the Fairview Olympic Hotel (I’m told it’s the most expensive hotel in Seattle, and that’s saying a lot). Let me paint the picture for you: open bar for 250 or so people for 6 hours, unlimited wine at dinner, a fancy four-course meal, nice favors and a dance-hall dripping with roses, candles, white linens and several drunken high school friends making passes at the bridesmaids by the time dinner was over.

Essentially, this was a 5 year high school reunion for me – it included about 80% of the people I’d want to see at my actual reunion and I was so happy I had come up for it! It was unbelievably wonderful to catch up with so many friends I hadn’t spoken to for 5 years (did I mention I’m terrible at keeping in touch with people?) who had come from all over the states for Jennifer! Unfortunately, the inebriation kicked in after the dancing started and I missed out on really catching up with several people who were feeling a little too screwed up to have a normal conversation. Nevertheless, these friends astounded me! Several are in grad school, most have good jobs and have traveled and experienced neat things, and a few are already married or on their way. The level of maturity shocked me quite a bit (in a good way).

The only downer of the night? The bill for valet parking at the hotel = $24. Shit.

"I've been watching your world from afar,
I've been trying to be where you are,
I've been secretly falling apart, unseen
To me, you're strange and you're beautiful,
You'd be so perfect with me but you just can't see,
You turn every head but you don't see me.

Sometimes, the last thing you want comes in first,
Sometimes, the first thing you want never comes,
I know, waiting is all you can do, Sometimes... "

No comments: